Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Yard Project Update

Growing up in northern Missouri, on a cattle farm in the middle of almost nowhere, I would have never pictured myself as a city girl. Even now, living in the city of Saint Louis, my heart is in the country. I'm proud to come from a small town where people really know how to treat each other and smile/wave even at strangers. I remember riding around with my parents and watching them nod or wave at the driver of an oncoming car/truck. When we went to the local grocery store or gas station, someone would always comment about how I looked like my dad or ask about our family. Even when I went to college and came back, people in Salisbury would acknowledge that I was Josh's sister (he was well known there, then). When we moved to this city, I vowed that I wouldn't let it change me. I had no idea that the people here would teach me a lesson - people in the city can be as welcoming as those in the country. Living on my block taught me that first - our wonderful neighbors! Joining the Soulard School community gave me my second look into friendly city folk. But, the saying is true..."You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl." I love Saint Louis and all that we can do here, give our children, and enjoy together. But, often I miss being able to go out of my house and just walk in peace and quiet for miles, if I want to, on a country road with the bird songs for my music. I miss going to the pond around dusk to listen to the frogs or watch the sun set behind a hill. Every time I go to my dad's house (my childhood home) I make a point to go outside on a clear night, if possible, to see the stars. I remember sitting outside on our deck with my parents, when they were married, and just listening to the night sounds and watching the stars. The city lights prevent me from enjoying the stars like that, but our yard project is coming along and soon I will be able to go outside and enjoy a wonderful yard (fenced in) with my children. So, here are pictures of its progress...


Colin loves to watch the men and their machines!

This is the new entrance to our basement.


We have wonderful/beautiful new retaining walls and steps.


Here is what the rose bed looked like this morning...
and what it looked like this afternoon! Don't worry, they will be back - just moved to the other side of the yard in a nice new garden area off our new patio.
Shortly after this photo was taken, Colin just HAD to cross the plank bridge. I know he really WANTED to get into the mud, but he resisited.

Then, later this evening Clayton, Colin, and Audrey had a feeding frenzy of watermelon on the kitchen floor. Not the ideal place, but Clayton had his reasons.

No comments: