Thursday, July 16, 2009

Early birthday and Grandma Nancy

I'm putting lots of things into this post because I've been so busy cleaning for a big family event, working on Audrey's quilt, and taking care of my two that I haven't had the time to blog. So, in reverse order of the way these events happened...

Clayton's mother, Nancy, arrived this evening. I feel so lucky to say that I really like - love - my mother-in-law! Well, I can say that about all of my in-laws, actually. She is the only person I would leave my children with over night. That is about the greatest compliment I can give anyone. I appreciate her very much. She is one of the easiest house guests, also, and is very easy to talk to. I hope our friendship just strengthens over the coming years. Colin and Audrey adore her, as they should.

As is the case with most grandmas, she gave Colin his birthday presents right away - though his actual birthday isn't until July 28th. Colin and I have twelve chalk circles on our kitchen chalk board counting down. He gets to erase one each night. This is a wonderful wooden truck she bought from a co-worker's husband (who made it to be played with). I know he'll be pushing it down the sidewalk very soon. Who knows all of the things he'll be carrying around!
Then, the mystery wrapped present. He actually went for the card first! I am pretty proud of that. Many children go right for the "good" stuff, but he loves to read anything - even a birthday card.
He was given a very complicated, but even more cool marble run. He loves it! When we were on vacation, Clayton's cousin Bill's son (complicated, I know) brought his own marble run. When Nancy saw how much Colin enjoyed it, I knew he might get one for his birthday! Audrey enjoyed his present, too. Here are a few pictures of us enjoying the marble run! More pictures and comments of the rest of the family visit soon.











Yesterday, Clayton took Colin and Audrey to the Missouri Botanical Garden while I had my little jewelry party with a couple of girls from my school (The Soulard School). It was the item I put up for auction to raise money for the school. Paige, Quinn, and I had a very nice time making jewelry while these two got wet in fountains at the garden with their dad. I like the first one of Audrey because (though Clayton caught her blinking), I imagine her thinking something like, "please let Mommy save me from these to crazy guys soon!" They came home wet, tired, hungry, and very happy. I'm so glad that I've relaxed and learned to enjoy these times when they are out with their father. I remember when Clayton took a nine month old Colin to the baseball stadium (his first trip alone with him) - I was so worried! Silly, me!







I forgot to add this video of Colin to a previous post before our trip to Kansas City. Colin is reading "The Farmer in the Dell" to Cammy. Precious!


No comments: