Monday, July 27, 2009

Wages' Family Christmas in July

We just returned from the Wages' family Christmas party. My father is one of eight and they are originally from Clifton Hill, MO (as am I). My father still lives in the home I grew up in until going off to college. He has a large family of friendly and welcoming people. I didn't get to spend much time with them when I was a child as often as the rest of them did. So, I don't know that side of my family well. I am always interested in my roots and hearing about stories from my parents' childhood, so now that my children can handle a couple of hours in the car well I decided to introduce them to this side of my family. I had not seen most of them since my wedding five years ago, and some of them even longer. It was so nice to get reaquainted with my cousins and aunts and uncles. We drove up Friday afternoon during the children's naptime and arrived in Pike County, IL later that afternoon. No one lives there, but it is a place where my Uncle Donald has connections to the lodge called Walnut Knob. The house is huge, with more than eight bedrooms. This is very good because there were about twenty-seven adults and seventeen children (ages 15 yrs. - 5 months). The picture below is of all of us. We returned Sunday afternoon - very tired, but with lots of great memories.



Colin was one of four three-year-olds! There was Dalton, Hannah, and Payton. Colin brought out his mad face for several of the pictures Saturday. Here is one.


This mad face had many of the family members laughing and taking pictures of him. The children were performing songs for their parents. Colin didn't make this face the whole time, but he didn't have a smile, either.


It felt very strange to be giving Christmas presents from Santa in the middle/end of July, but the children sure did like it! Colin enjoyed his t-ball stand and bat for a few minutes before he was jealous of Dalton's monster truck. I guess Santa doesn't know Colin as well as she - oops! - HE thought he did!





Saturday began with Wages team games. We broke into teams and did the hoola hoop, bean bag tosses, golf putting, shoe race, and three-legged race for points. My team didn't win, but it wasn't about winning as much as it is about fun! This is what Audrey did while we were playing. She enjoyed the sunshine and green grass under her feet!


Colin enjoyed some time with his Grandpa (Papa) Larry in the shade.


Audrey also loved the water. It was great of Aunt Karen to bring the baby and older kids pools!

Here we are playing some of the team games.



Later that night, I forgot how to tell time and realized too late that it was going on nine o'clock instead of eight. So, I gave in and let Colin and Audrey stay up to catch fireflies. I think it was an experience both enjoyed immensely! I hope we can go again next year.







No comments: