Friday, August 14, 2009

Stories for Colin

Tonight, something wonderful happened! Over the course of Colin's life, I have slowly made bedtime a time for learning. We read tons of picture books and learn new vocabulary words the way they were meant to be learned - through interest and authenticity. Gradually, I introduced books that were longer and more complicated. Until, a few months ago, I began reading him chapter books. Granted, they are over his head in many spots, but he is learning so much from them. I also began ending these readings with an oral story. At first, they were my versions of fairytales, tall tales, etc. Eventually, they centered around his interest (Cars movie characters, Thomas the Tank Engine, favorite friends, girls). He still asks me to tell specific stories, but I've begun to have him create the story by asking him the setting, characters, problem, and ending. I haven't used the word solution, but that is really what happens when he tells me the ending. The teacher in me just can't help herself sometimes!

So, that brings us to tonight. Clayton is working afternoons/evenings now so I am alone with my two each night. Getting dinner ready is a challenge at times because I can't be two places at once (in the kitchen and wherever they are playing). They are both safe (Audrey can go up and down stairs perfectly now), but don't always make good choices. Tonight was one of those bad choices nights. I was quickly trying to put dinner together when I heard some crashing and banging upstairs. It didn't sound harmful, just unsettling. When I didn't hear crying, I finished my chore and went upstairs to find every book from Colin's book shelf in a large messy pile on the floor (and scattered across the floor).

The short story is that I put the books away for a while. This is the second time they had done this with the books and I wanted to make a point. I told Colin that because he threw the books down on the floor like trash, I was going to take them away until he showed me he could be responsible for them and treat them respectfully. That meant no book reading at bedtime.

So, I offered to tell him stories. And that, finally, lead us to the wonderful thing. I told him family stories. I told him about my mother and father as children, my brother, a friend, and myself. I told him about the rat in the toilet, my Grandma Wages, the way my brother would eat the butter and brown sugar in the pan when my Grandma Wages made cinnamon roles, the 40th birthday cake my mother's family gave her that was made out of cow poop, and how my friend Chad had an old man sit on him in a movie theater. He begged for more and, though I usually covet my time to myself after they are asleep, I felt myself wanting to spend all night telling him these things. It is beginning! I get to begin to give him heritage! There are many things we can give our children, but stories about our lives and the lives of our loved ones before us are treasures that cost nothing. He is old enough to begin to feel a part of us, to take these stories and grow into his own personality - taking pieces of the stories with him. It is also a great time for me to remember and reflect on the good times I've had in my life. Because, of course, I'll only be telling him pleasant memories for a very long time. He's too young and innocent for others. I just had to share my excitement.

I wanted to include at least a couple of photos taken Wed at the Missouri Botanical Garden. Yesterday, I didn't go anywhere because Audrey vomited all morning and recovered for the rest of the day. She never had a fever and was fine after a second nap in the afternoon, but she was almost immobile for several morning hours. She is her regular bubbly self now. I've never met a smilier girl.


No comments: